The McNamara name has been synonymous with all forms of stock and real estate transactions since the earliest days of Shepparton’s existence. The beginning of the McNamara brand commenced in 1881, when three McNamara brothers, John in Belmore Street, Yarrawonga, Patrick in Wyndham Street, Shepparton and David in Melville Street, Numurkah, all opened their respective offices under the trading name J. McNamara & Co. Dominating the market, they also established a substantial and highly successful Melbourne based auction firm, under the John McNamara & Co banner.
In his early years, Mark’s great grandfather, Patrick made the ten mile journey from Toolamba and across the Goulburn River to Shepparton in his horse drawn buggy. On his retirement in 1916, his son David, a respected valuer and auctioneer in his own right, continued to operate the Shepparton office up to the 1950’s, when the next generation came to the fore. It was then that Bryan established himself as a skilled and versatile auctioneer, Gerald became the branch manager and Kath continued her long term role as the Senior Company Secretary.
At 22 years of age Maurice, the youngest of David and Rose’s eight children, was offered the Branch Manager position of John McNamara & Co in Numurkah, just prior to his marriage to Hilda Heritage. When their sixth child arrived in 1962, Maurice went on to successfully establish his own business, Maurice McNamara & Co, which still continues today under the ownership of Mark’s eldest brother David.
In 1989, after marrying Caroline Cottam and starting his own family, Mark too decided to follow the family tradition, focusing on real estate sales in and around the Shepparton area where he had spent his entire working life. Throughout his career as a successful selling agent, auctioneer and Principal of his own business since 2003, Mark has held strong to the McNamara family and business values. The establishment of ‘Mark McNamara Real Estate’, and the style of doing business that it will facilitate, fulfils Mark’s lifelong ambition to bring the McNamara name back to Wyndham Street Shepparton, just across the street from where Patrick’s original office once stood tall.